1. The average summer temperature in Bulgaria is 26° Celsius. In Fahrenheit this is equal to:
2. Which of the following units of measurement is not part of the metric system?
3. The International System of Units, abbreviated to SI from the French name Le Systeme international d'unites, was adopted in 1960 and originally comprised six base units. Which was the seventh one added 10 years later?
a. the mole
b. the ampere
c. the candela
d. the gallon
4. How many kilograms equal 10 stone?
5. Which unit is used in the textile industry to indicate the density of fibre?
6. The SI unit of the capacitance of an electrical system is named after the English chemist and physicist Michael Faraday who discovered:
b. the first law of thermodynamics
c. the relationship between
resistance, current and voltage
d. electro-magnetic induction
7. American science fiction writer Ray Bradbury chose the temperature at which paper catches fire for the title of his book 451..................:
8. The benz and the knot are units for measuring:
9. The fathom is an old non-metric unit of length now mainly restricted to nautical uses, e.g. expressing the depth of water or the length of nautical rope or cable. One international fathom is equal to:
a. 1.13 m
b. 1.82 m
c. 2.39 m
d. 2.83 m
10. How many litres equal one UK gallon?
Check your answers on the next page
The correct answers:
1. B; 2. C; 3. A; 4. B; 5. A; 6. D; 7. C; 8. B; 9. B; 10. C